January 2000 to June 2001: Juneau Dance Unlimited, Juneau, Alaska, USA
1998 to present: Austrian Ballet Company, Vienna, Austria
2004 to present: ABC-Tokyo Ballet Co., Tokyo, Japan
Vienna State Opera Ballet School, Graduate of the Conservatory of Vienna
Vladimir Tsukanov, Virginia Stankiewiz, Bolshoi/Vaganova
Diana Cartier, American Ballet Theater
Phyllis Papa, Atlantic Contemporary Ballet Theatre
For having prepared Asami Koizumi, as well as Towako Mizukami for the first prize in a competition, Rio received Outstanding Teacher's awards as outstanding ballet mistress.
They were followed by 2 Best Teacher Awards for coaching Taro Yamada and Ruito Takabatake in 2022.
- Prima la Musica, for Austrian public TV (ORF)
- Urashima Taro, A Japanese Fairytale, Akzent Theater, Vienna
- Mozart's Pour le Roi, Jeunesse Austria Tour
- Carmen, Jeunesse Austria Tour
- Johann Strauß Memories, Vienna Festival Weeks
- Nostalgies, Kinderklang, Vienna with artists of the Vienna Philharmonic
- Roses from the South, ACBT, New Jersey
- Etudes, Redwood Concert Ballet, CA
- The Conductor, Festival Off, Avignon, France, Union Square Dance Festival, NYC
- For God, Hokkaido, Japan
- Romeo & Juliet, JDHS, Juneau
- Yuki Onna - The Snow Princess, Japan, Australia, Europe
- Urashima Taro - A fisher's man tale, Japan, Australia
- The Wonderful World of Dance, Japan
- Umbrellas of Kyoto, premiere in 2012
- Messiah - The life of Jesus Christ
- The Dream, premiere February 2017
- Les Miserables, 2018
- From the Ashes, 2019
- Couronne, 2020
- Romeo and Juliet, 2022
"In working with PNB, Rio helped do the important and valuable work of enriching public schools and the lives of students and teachers with ballet, dance, and the arts."
Stephanie Scherpf, Director of Outreach and Education, Pacific Northwest Ballet, 2002
"Miss Mitani and Mr. Martinu have proven to be such a gift to the teaching profession."
Virginia L Niekrasz-Laurent, Director of Redwood Concert Ballet, Redwood, CA., 2002
"Rio and Christian's classes are well organized and their corrections are very positive. I feel privileged to have them on the faculty."
Phyllis Papa, Director, Atlantic Contemporary Ballet Theatre, New Jersey, 2001
"We enjoyed the positive energy, professional work ethic, and flexibility in all situations."
Alice Bassler Sullivan, Director, Alaska Dance Theatre, 2001
"Your performance as a dancer convinced the public, by grace and ease, and by an especially beautiful musical interpretation."
Dr. Werner Pelinka, Director, Kinderklang Vienna, 1999
"Miss Rio Mitani is extremely brilliant, constantly diligent in her work, and outstandingly talented - a true artist in a wide sense."
Mariko Nicol, Composer, Concert pianist, Painter, Tokyo 1999
"Her discipline, her technical ability, and her vision make her an extraordinary artist. She is truly dedicated."
Susana B. Williams, Director, Thought-Forms Productions 2000
"... a wonderful ambassador for our department."
Prof. Karl Musil, Director, Conservatory Vienna, 1997
"I have been extremely pleased by her level of professionalism and her commitment to her art and her students, always willing to "go that extra mile" to get things "just right."
William Bell, Vienna International School, 1999
"I appreciate her ability, as a dancer with profound technique, to create stage characters within a wide range of personalities."
Walter Bartussek, Director, The Mime Center, Vienna, 1999